Barriers to Listening

Tuesday 8 November 2011

I am a very easy going person.. Im friendly with everyone and people usually get along with me fine.. However, I do have problems when im in an argument with anyone really... I have this thing with listening when im arguing.. I just refuse to do it...

I know.. i know.. its bad.. but i cant help it.. I am a smart girl.. i say this because i am academically excellent.. I get good grades and keep up my good grades.. So due to this.. i tend to think i am always RIGHT.. and this tend to lead to me not listening to people when i engage in a challenging debate with them...

I'll give you an example.... One day during my break i got into this very interesting debate with my friend Liya.. She said that pink is pretty and i said pink is overrated.. Well.. she started off wrong.. because she said im not a girl, therefore i dont share the same opinion as her.. and i retaliate by saying, pink are for dumb blondes.. and well i merely shrugged of every single thing she said after... see the problem with this is that we could not continue the debate as time for break was up, and because i did not pay attention to her, with the sole thought in my head... "man she's just blabbering bout nothing"... i couldn't reply her when she asked for one.. and then she indirectly won the debate!... oh how i regretted not listening to her...

I actually have a name to my problem.. its called "egocentrism"... it means... my ego is rocket high and so it causes a barrier in my listening abilities when im arguing or debating with someone...

-Gayathri-

0 comments:

Post a Comment